Now, if you are one of those that turn up your nose to fresh figs, this Fresh Fig Cake will instantly change your mind.
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh figs stems removed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven 350°F. Coat Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, cream oil, sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs and egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition until creamy.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, alternating with buttermilk and ending with flour. Beat after each addition.
- Stir in figs and pecans. Bake 40-45 minutes, until top springs back when touched. Then, let cake cool 10 minutes and then invert onto serving plate. Next, pour Glaze (recipe follows) over hot cake.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In small nonstick pot, combine all ingredients except vanilla and bring to boil 4 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and pour over hot cake.